Who We Are
Our M.A. in Media Industries & Critical-Cultural Studies program offers students small seminar classes, interdisciplinary approaches, and personal academic attention from renowned media scholars & practitioners.
What We Offer
- 2-year individualized degree plans
- Graduate Assistantships (RA or TA)
- Solid foundation for PhD programs or a career in a variety of media industries
- Thesis or Exam option
- Experiential learning opportunities with the Youth Media Lab or campus radio (KNTU) and TV (NTTV) stations
- Internship, research, & career opportunities in the 5th largest media market in the U.S.
Media Industries & Critical-Cultural Studies
The Critical-Cultural Studies area encourages students to critically engage with current debates in historical, ideological, and cultural topics in film, TV, and digital and social media. Students learn about various topics and theories such as: identity, critical race studies, feminism, sexuality, Latin American & Latinx media, film studies, queer studies, Indigenous sovereignty media, participatory & grassroots media, fandom, youth cultures, and critical media literacy.
The Industry Studies area is designed for students with interests in studying or working in media institutions including film, TV, video games, and digital and social media. Students learn about multiple aspects of media industries including: production cultures, management, distribution, global media, entrepreneurship, franchies and remakes, law and regulation, programming, transmedia stroytelling, media economics, and audience research.
2022-2023 GRADUATION DEADLINES
Fall 2022 Graduation: Oral defense of thesis must be completed no later than October 21, 2022. Final thesis must be submitted to Toulouse no later than November 4, 2022.
Spring 2023 Graduation: Oral defense of thesis must be completed no later than TBD. Thesis must be submitted to Toulouse no later than TBD.
Spring 2023 Exam Dates: TBD
- Apply to the MA Program
- UNT Graduate Catalog (You will need to choose Graduate Catalog from the dropdown menu.)
- Toulouse Graduate School
- Department of Media Arts Graduate Studies general information