Who We Are
Located at the top of the Golden Triangle in Dallas/Fort Worth, UNT is ranked as a Carnegie Tier 1 public research university and a federally-designated Hispanic-Serving Institute (HSI).
Our M.A. in Media Industries & Critical-Cultural Studies program offers students small seminar classes, interdisciplinary approaches, and personal academic attention from renowned media scholars & practitioners.
What We Offer
- 2-year individualized degree plans
- Graduate Assistantships (RA or TA)
- Solid foundation for Ph.D. programs or a career in a variety of media industries
- Thesis or Exam option
- Experiential learning opportunities with the Youth Media Lab or campus radio (KNTU) and TV (ntTV) stations
- Internship, research, & career opportunities in the 5th largest media market in the U.S.
Media Industries & Critical-Cultural Studies
The Critical-Cultural Studies area encourages students to critically engage with current debates in historical, ideological, and cultural topics in film, TV, and digital and social media. Students learn about various topics and theories such as: identity, critical race studies, feminism, sexuality, Latin American & Latinx media, film studies, queer studies, Indigenous sovereignty media, participatory & grassroots media, fandom, youth cultures, and critical media literacy.
The Industry Studies area is designed for students with interests in studying or working in media institutions including film, TV, video games, and digital and social media. Students learn about multiple aspects of media industries including: production cultures, management, distribution, global media, entrepreneurship, franchies and remakes, law and regulation, programming, transmedia stroytelling, media economics, and audience research.
Several graduate assistantships, graduate fellowships, and scholarships are awarded each year to new and continuing students. Assistantship applications should be submitted with admissions material.
2023-2024 GRADUATION DEADLINES
Fall 2023 Graduation: Oral defense of thesis must be completed no later than TBA. Final thesis must be submitted to Toulouse no later than TBA.
Spring 2024 Graduation: Oral defense of thesis must be completed no later than TBA. Thesis must be submitted to Toulouse no later than TBA.
Spring 2024 Exam Dates: TBA
- Apply to the M.A. Program
- UNT Graduate Catalog (You will need to choose Graduate Catalog from the dropdown menu.)
- Toulouse Graduate School
- Department of Media Arts Graduate Studies general information