Deadline for Spring 2022 admission is October 15, 2021.
You must meet the requirements of both the Toulouse Graduate School and the Department of Media Arts. If applicants are accepted by the Graduate School, their files are forwarded to the Graduate Committee in the Department of Media Arts for further evaluation.
The department's minimum requirements include:
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate courses in Media Arts or related field of study.
To apply, the following materials should be sent directly to the Toulouse Graduate School:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Official GRE scores sent from the Educational Testing Service.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: at-home testing options are available if testing centers remain closed in your area and/or you do not feel safe taking the exam at a testing center.
- A completed Toulouse Graduate School application form.
- Application fee.
In addition, the following items should be emailed directly to Dr. Jacqueline Vickery, Media Arts Director of M.A. Graduate Studies:
- A statement of purpose. In addition to indicating the semester and year you would like to enter the program, the statement should:
- indicate your purpose in pursuing a graduate degree at UNT in Media Arts
- specifically address your research interests
- indicate your intended track (Critical/Cultural Studies or Industry Studies)
- identify academic and professional experiences that have served as a foundation for graduate work in Media Arts
- communicate how pursuing a graduate degree in our department will aid in your professional plans and/or career aspirations
- A minimum of two current letters of recommendation.
- Letter writers should send their recommendation letters via email directly to the MA Graduate Director. We do not accept letters sent directly from the applicant.
- For most applicants, the letters must be provided by current or former professors.
- An applicant who has worked professionally in media may submit one of these letters from a person who has supervised their work and is capable of commenting on the applicant's probability of success in a rigorous graduate program.
- If an applicant has been out of school for several years, both letters may come from professional colleagues capable of commenting on the applicant's probability of success in a rigorous graduate program.
- A writing sample representative of the applicant's best academic work in media studies or a related field. There is no page limit; however, we recommend 7-10 pages.
- An applicant from outside the United States must demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English prior to admittance. In addition to GRE scores, non-native speakers must submit TOEFL scores.
In specific instances, the Media Arts MA Admisions Committee may require an interview of applicants under consideration. This interview may take place in person, via telephone or video conference.
The admissions committee will not consider an application until all required materials have been submitted.
Admission for Spring 2022 semester: October 15, 2021. You can anticipate a decision notification on or around the week of November 8.
Note: Spring 2022 is the last year we will admit students for the Spring semester. Starting Fall 2022, we will only accept and admit applicants for Fall admissions.
Admissions for Fall 2022: March 15, 2022. You can anticiapte a decision notification on or around the week of April 4.
By virtue of submitting an application to the Master of Arts Program at UNT, I certify what follows:
- I prepared, wrote, and submitted all of my own materials
- The information supplied in this application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge