Early applicantion deadline for Fall 2022 admissions is January 15, 2022.
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of both the Toulouse Graduate School and the Department of Media Arts. If applicants are accepted by the Graduate School, their files are forwarded to the Graduate Committee in the Department of Media Arts for further evaluation.
The following may be considered the Media Arts Department's minimum requirements:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate courses in Media Arts or related field of study such as mass communications, media studies, film or media production.
To apply, the following materials should be sent directly to the Toulouse Graduate School:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- A completed graduate application form.
- Application fee.
In addition, the following items should be submitted directly to Professor Tania Khalaf, Director of the M.F.A. Program in Documentary.
- Complete the online Graduate Applicant Survey (form will automatically be sent to the Graduate Director)
- Statement of purpose, that:
- indicates your pruprose for pursuing a terminal degree in Documentary Production and Studies at UNT
- describes your specific areas of academic and professional interest
- explains previous academic work and/or professional performance that have served as a foundation for graduate work in Media Arts.
- communicates how pursuing a degree in Documentary Production & Studies from the Department of Media Arts will aid in your professional and/or career aspirations
- Portfolio of creative work submitted via a weblink (Vimeo, YouTube, website).
- The sample should include one complete production and 10 minutes of excerpts from additional work.
- If relevant, still photographs or other material that demonstrates the applicant's creative talents and accomplishments may be submitted following consultation with the director of graduate studies. Any creative work submitted with the application must indicate the potential for graduate work in a rigorous, production-oriented graduate program.
- All materials should be labeled and include a content list, lengths, and the applicant's role in the production.
- Materials submitted will not be returned. Do not mail tapes in fiber-filled envelopes.
- Writing sample representative of the applicant's best academic work in the field.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty.
Letter writers should send their recommendation letters via email directly to the MFA Graduate Director. We do not accept letters sent directly from the applicant.
For most applicants, the letters must be provided by current or former professors.
If it has been more than four years since the the applicant has attended an academic institution, two of these letters may come from professional colleagues capable of commenting on the applicant's probability of success in a rigorous graduate program.
- In specific instances, the Media Arts MFA Admissions Committee may require an interview of applicants under consideration. This interview may take place in person, via telephone or video conference.
- International students: an applicant from outside the United States must demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English prior to admittance. In addition to GRE scores, international students must submit TOEFL scores if English is not their first/primary language.
For full consideration of admission and assistanships, you should submit all required materials by January 15. If spots remain, a second round of reviews is available for completed packets received by March 15.
Note: to be considered for an assistanship, you should submit a completed application by the earliier deadline.
By virtue of submitting an application to the Master of Fine Arts Program at UNT, I certify:
- I prepared, wrote, and submitted all of my own materials; and
- The information supplied in this application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.