Note: We coordinate internships for University of North Texas RTVF Majors Only.
An internship is a supervised, undergraduate off-campus work experience in a position that relates to a student's career objective. It is arranged jointly through the Department of Radio, Television and Film and the University's Center for Cooperative Education (COOP), and is available for credit on a pass/no pass basis.
To complete an RTVF Internship, you must:
- Have a grade point average of at least 2.8.
- Have the consent of the RTVF Department.
- Be a declared RTVF major.
- Have Senior standing (completed 90 or more semester credit hours, including 15 hours in RTVF).
- Not seek more than 3 semester credit hours of internship during any one semester.
- Not seek more than 6 semester credit hours of total credit in any combination of practicum, internships, and special problems courses.
- Complete a minimum of 50 work hours for each semester hour of credit earned.
- Meet all requirements for the internship position outlined by the employer.
- Maintain a daily log and return it to the RTVF Intern Coordinator, Phyllis Slocum, by the date she gives you.
- Write a two page paper about your experience and how you think you benefited now and in the future from the intern experience.
- Meet all the requirements above.
- Locate an employer who will accept you as an intern. (See below "How to Identify A Suitable Internship Position.")
- After following the above procedures, meet with Ms. Slocum for RTVF signup, to get a COOP form and to receive the class permission code for registration.
- Enroll in RTVF 4480 before you start your internship.
- BE SURE YOU ENROLLED FOR THE CORRECT NUMBER OF HOURS YOU WISH TO TAKE, OTHERWISE YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM.
- Meet with COOP personnel to receive COOP evaluation forms.
- Complete the required COOP evaluation forms and return them to COOP during pre-Final week of the Fall or Spring semester or during the last week of Summer II.
- Remind your employer to send their rating forms to the Center of Cooperative Education (COOP). Ms. Slocum will give you the date the forms need to be returned to the COOP office.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A SUITABLE INTERNSHIP POSITION
Internships are designed for continuing UNT/RTVF Major students. To find a suitable one, do the following:
- See the Department's binders and bulletin board that list employers taking interns, then contact area employers in which you have an interest.
- Preliminary talks with the RTVF Intern Coordinator, Ms. Slocum, should be held the semester before you plan to start an internship.
- After you have located an employer who will recognize you as an intern and is willing to work with the Department and Cooperative Education, then see Ms. Slocum to sign the appropriate materials and he will also give you some paperwork which you must take to the Cooperative Education Office before you begin the internship.
- Start looking early for a suitable internship at least one semester before you hope to begin work as an intern.
YOU MUST VISIT RTVF FIRST & THEN COOP BEFORE YOU START AN INTERNSHIP!
RTVF Intern Coordinator -- Phyllis Slocum