The UNT Media Arts Festival is a student-run festival providing the opportunity for UNT Student filmmakers to exhibit their work. It will be held Thursday, April 5 - Saturday, April 7, 2018.
Now in its third year, the UNT Media Arts Festival takes place annually in Denton on the UNT campus and UNT on the Square. The 3-day event includes professional film screenings, meet and greets, panels from professionals in the entertainment industry, and culminates with an awards ceremony.
Continuing this theme, this year's festival will celebrate emerging student work from those taking the first steps towards a professional career, and aims to provide a platform to encourage conversation and camaraderie across students and experiences. The festival features six separate student competitions:
- narrative film
- documentary film
- mixed media
With these broadly set categories, the goal is a program encompassing a variety of genres, mediums, experiences, and cinematic journeys. All UNT student filmmakers are encouraged to submit work! Awards & Prizes We have six major categories and six awards. In addition to the awards, the top five in each category will recieve a certificate.
RULES & TERMS
- There is no entry fee for this competition.
- ALL entries must be from students currently or previously enrolled in an University of North Texas or University of North Texas Dallas degree program. STUDENT VERIFICATION WILL BE REQUIRED AND APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THEIR EUID AND/OR STUDENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. All other entries will be disqualified for entry into the festival. Any student is eligible to submit a project, regardless of filmmaking or production experience.
- It is important that you determine your film's category when you submit it, as that determines eligibility for awards (for any further questions about the categories, please email email@example.com).
- UNT Media Arts Festival reserves the right to not screen films that it finds overly offensive, obscene, or vulgar.
- Films that have previously screened in other festivals or on UNT's campus are still eligible.
- There is no limit to the number of entries.
- It is expected that filmmakers hold all of the respective rights (copyright) required for their films before submitting. This includes all music, sound effects, product placement, actor/model release forms, etc. For music, there are a number of fair use soundtrack sites with music available online for free (we recommend reaching out to student musicians as well). Filmmakers without these rights will not be able to screen their films. UNT Media Arts Festival will contact you if we believe there is a copyright problem with your submission. Any questions on copyright can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All foreign language entries must have English subtitles.
- Projects must be submitted through FilmFreeway (online screener is the preferred method; we recommend using Vimeo or YouTube and password locking your film). You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission. If you did not receive an email, please follow up at email@example.com.
- Films must be submitted by February 10, 2018. This is a hard deadline. You will be notified of acceptance no later than March 17, 2018.
- All entrants will be eligible to compete for category prizes.
- We want to help you show off your work! If selected, please use the FilmFreeway press kit to submit productions stills, bios, trailers, etc.
- By submitting to UNT Media Arts Festival, you agree that upon acceptance, we may use your film as part of promotion materials for the festival, in addition to your likeness in photos and video during the days of the event.
We encourage you to ask any questions you may have by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.