You must meet the requirement of both the Toulouse Graduate School and the Department of Media Arts. If applicants are accepted by the Graduate School, their files are forwarded to the Graduate Committee in the Department of Media Arts for further evaluation. The following may be considered the department's minimum requirements:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate courses in RTVF or related field of study such as media studies, media production or mass communication.
To apply, the following materials should be sent directly to the Toulouse Graduate School:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Official GRE scores sent from the Educational Testing Service.
- A completed graduate application form.
- Application fee.
In addition, the following items should be submitted directly to Dr. Harry Benshoff, Media Arts Director of M.A. Graduate Studies:
- A statement of purpose, in which the applicant states career goals and tells why the Master of Arts degree in Media Arts from UNT will help achieve those goals. This statement should indicate which area of emphasis (Critical/Cultural Studies or Industry Studies) is appropriate to the applicant's academic/career goals.
- A writing sample (research paper, professional report, substantial essay, etc.).
- A minimum of two current letters of recommendation. For most applicants, the letters must be provided by current or former professors. An applicant who has worked professionally in media may submit one of these letters from a person who has supervised his or her work. If an applicant has been out of school for several years, both letters may be from people who can evaluate his or her work in these fields.
- An applicant from outside the United States must demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English prior to admittance. In addition to GRE scores, non-native speakers must submit TOEFL scores.
UNT Graduate Catalog (You will need to choose Graduate Catalog from the dropdown menu.)
Toulouse Graduate School
Department of Media Arts Graduate Studies general information